Dual boot windows 7 and windows 8;Lets run windows 8 and windows 7 on same PC
I had dual-boot windows 7 and windows 8 my PC recently as I couldn’t rely on consumer preview 100%. So what I did was have a dual-boot windows 7 and windows 8 side by side, as in case of an error sometimes I would lose all my data at all.so I didn’t remove windows 7. If you have dual booted your PC like windows and Ubuntu this won’t be alien to you.so let’s start.
- First backup your data; it’s safer in case of a failure since a dual boot windows 7 and windows 8. As we gonna install a new OS and it will make changes in drivers, so it’s recommended to have a backup of the data. Unless you will lose your whole data. When you are done allocate at least 20 GB for windows 8.then let’s peep how we can make a new partition for windows 8 in order to have dual boot windows 7 and windows 8.
- Then we use “disk management” to create a new partition for windows 8.
- Right click on “my Computer” and select “manage”.
- Then you will prompt to manage dialog box and click on “Disk Management” under “Storage” tab appear on left sidebar.
Disk management for dual boot windows 7 and windows 8
There you will see the detailed and graphical representation of your partitions. Right click on the system partition (normally C either in graphical or detailed panel. Then a popup menu come to you and select “Shrink volume…” under “Enter the Amount of Space to Shrink in MB” type the amount such that to have at least 20 GB normally 20782.then click shrink after that you can see a block with “Unallocated”. Right click on that and select “New Simple Volume” and click on “next” till you reach a dialog box to “Format Partition”. There you can have a volume label (name) the partition (I named it “windows 8”), select “NTFS” in “File System” (make sure to select NTFS) and click next and the formatting begins. New you are ready to install windows 8 on PC to have a dual boot windows 7 and windows 8.
Supposing you are working on Windows 7 uses dual boot windows 7 and windows 8and I’m going to give you an advice. If you are going for a windows dual boot always install the earlier version of windows before newer one. Because every new windows version itself has a boot loader that will understand the older version and not vice versa. But technically it’s possible to install newer version after earlier version. In that case you have to find the help of recovery tools for the restoration. It’s somewhat off putting and why should we? In our case we are installing windows 8 after windows 7 in order to have a dual boot windows 7 and windows 8.
Install windows 8; dual boot windows 7 and windows 8
- Now we are going to install windows 8 for PC and you must have opts set up on DVD or any USB-media. If you don’t have it yet it, the consumer preview is available in www.microsoft.com as a .iso file. So you have to download it and get it burnt in to a DVD by an image burner or if you have the setup you can boot from either from USB media. You must change the boot order either to CD or USB by going throw BIOS.be careful you are not booting it to windows 7, in case of that you will lose your system data and windows 7 will get removed and you can’t have dual boot windows 7 and windows 8. You will see a message “Press any key to boot from DVD” (I used DVD) and hit any key in key board.
- The installer similar to windows 7 installer and therefore may be easy for you. Select the language click “install now” and you have to select “Custom: Install windows only” when you are prompted to select which kinda installation you wish to have. Then choose the partition we created “windows 8”. Make sure that your choice is correct unless the DVD will overwrite on the partition you chose. Click next and here the installation begins. After installation your computer will reboot and windows 8 welcome appears before you. Now we dual boot windows 7 and windows 8.
On your boot you will be prompted to a graphical screen to select which OS should boot the PC. Normally Windows 8 is default OS and unless you choose windows 7 manually windows 8 boots computer within about 3 seconds. If you want to play with windows 8 you let this happen. Unless you can change by clicking on ”Change default and choose other options”.
Then click on “choose default operating system” and select windows 7 and then windows 7 will become your default operating system. So this is how you can get a dual boot windows 7 and windows 8
Hi, I’m Chamike ,Started out as a part-time blogger but recently I took up blogging as a full-time hobby/career and passion. Was This Post Helpful to You? Consider Subscribing! !